Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Excuses, excuses...Who needs them?!

It was my birthday this last Sunday, and now I am 29, only one short year away from the big 3-0! Ahhhhh!!! But age is not what this is all about. What this is about, is excuses.

On Sunday (my birthday) here in the great state of MI is was stinking cold! I had imagined going to lake MI for the day to lay out, swim, and spend time with the family. BUT forecast was predicting rain, and my kids had very busy days the few days prior, and were so whiney. So, I had decided that going out to lunch was going to be all that we did to celebrate that day.

After lunch we got in the car, and my hubby Dwayne was trying to convince me to drive over to Lake MI anyways, but the boys were practically falling asleep. So I said "nah, let's just go home and take naps." Well we went home, but do you think my boys that were falling asleep in the car took naps?! They surely DIDN'T!

And now my point! On that day I had made excuses as to why going to Lake MI was a bad idea. It was probably going to rain, it was too far of a drive to not be able to swim, the boys were tired....There were probably more that I'm not remembering. As people, I think we are prone to find a million reasons as to why something is NOT a good idea. And in thinking about it, it seems to be when we are considering making a move that could potentially be great!! Or at least, that's what I do.

It was around 3 o'clock when I decided it was my birthday, and I was going to do something to celebrate! We jumped in the car as quick as we could, and drove the hour and a half it takes to get to Lake MI from Battle Creek, and it was absolutely beautiful! It was later in the day, and so the beach was empty and the boys ran around, free as birds. They climbed the sand dunes, and splashed in the water. We took pictures, and I sat and looked out at the water, as my eyes began to mist because I was feeling SO incredibly blessed!

There are always so many reasons NOT to do something, and some of those reason are probably even good, but when you let go of your excuses to get to experience life! 

Now all I have to do is try to continue to "let go" because it's really not my instinct. I like to try and control, but when I'm doing that, I'm usually missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment